The county is situated in the U.S. State of Missouri. The population of Jackson County was 654,880 as of year 2000. In 2008, the county was in 2nd place for most populous county in Missouri next to St. Louis County.
In 1826 of December 15th, the Missouri State Legislature Certified the “County of Jackson” named after the 7th president of the United States of America, Andrew Jackson. Two years after a first courthouse was created in Independence for $150 by Daniel P. Lewis. The building was generally known as the “Truman Courthouse” and undergone five major modifications. Harry S. Truman was chosen as the Presiding Judge of Jackson County in 1926.
This 300-ft. structure began its construction in July 17, 1933 and the courthouse was dedicated in 1934 where same year Truman left County government to be a U.S Senator. The success of Harry S. Truman continues and became the 33rd President of the United States of America.
Law and government
Under the Missouri constitution, Jackson County was the second among the county to agree to a home-rule charter. In 1970, the voters accept the Jackson County Charter and then amended in 1985 and 1986.
The executive power of the county is handled by county executive which is a full-time salaried position. A four year term is vested to the county executive by the majority population of the county.
The county legislature is composed of nine members, 3 are elected by the larger district of the county while 6 are chosen from the smaller districts. The members have 4 years term that will start on January 1 after the election. County legislature passes ordinances in the county.
Registered voters in the county are 244,570.
The county has a total area of 616 square miles with 605 square miles of land and 12 square miles of water based on the U.S Census Bureau.
The northern border of Jackson County is the Missouri river. Jackson County was said to be the major travelling point for American river travel.
In 2000, the county has 654,880 people according to the census. The racial population is composed of 70.10% White, 23.27% of African American, 0.48% of Native American,1.28% Asian, 0.18% Pacific Islander, 2.25% for those with two or more races, 5.37% of Latinos and 2.43% from other races.
Johnson County has 19 cities.
De Soto is a city in Johnson and Leavenworth counties in Kansas that lies along the Kansas River. According to 2000 census, the population was 4,561. The city has a total area of 11.3 square miles all composed of land. De Soto is the haven of 3 local corporations, the Mr. Goodcents Franchise Systems, Inc., Custom Foods, Inc., and the Great American Bank.
Edgerton is a city in Johnson County, Kansas with a population of 1,440 as of year 2000 according to US Census. The city has a total area of 1.3 square miles that consists of 1.3 square miles of land and 0.78% of water. The city has 474 households and 388 families inhabiting in the city as of 2000. The Johnson County Library system that comsists of 13 locations throughout Johnson County, includes the Edgerton Library.
Fairway is also a city in Johnson County, Kansas. Based on the 2000 census, the city has a population of 3,952. In 1949, the city was incorporated and recognized as “The City of Tress”. The city has a total area of 1.1 square miles that composed of land. The Johnson County Library is situated in Fairway. The library comprises 12 other locations spread throughout Johnson County.
Gardner is a city in Johnson County, Kansas. According to 2000 census, the city had a population of 9,396. The city was founded as a Free-Stater settlement in 1857. Gardner has a totala rea of 4.9 square miles all of which is land. Gardner is section of the USD 231 school district. Five out of the six elementary schools are cited in Gardner.
Lake Quivira is a city of both Johnson and Wyandotte counties of Kansas. It has a total population of 932 on the 2000 census. On the US Census Bureau the city has a total area of 1.6 square miles with 1.3 square miles of land and the remaining is water. Based on the statistics of 2000, the city has 381 household and 326 families settling in the city.
Leawood has 27,656 residents in the 200 census which is also a city in Johnson County. For years, Leawood sustained a ban on fast food establishments in the city borders. But in the late 1990s the ordinances forbidding gast stations ans fast food restaurants have been rescinded.